Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Exploratory on my breast - women health question and answer

Question:
 I have agreed to go into hospital for some exploratory surgery on my breast. I am anxious that the surgeon could remove my breast without my consent. How can I make sure this doesn't happen?


Answer: 
  Once you are in hospital for your operation you will be asked to sign a consent form. It allows the surgeon to carry out an agreed operation, and agreed is the important world. The consent form must contain a written description of the operation that is planned, but sometimes this can be left rather open. In the case of breast abnormalities the operation may be described as 'breast biopsy and proceed as necessary '. The 'and proceed' to the surgeon may mean mastectomy and you must ask him or her to make clear exactly what she intends to do. If necessary you can adjust the words on the form and stipulate 'breast biopsy only' so both you and the surgeon are clear that she cannot proceed any further than that in this particular operation.

Tags : Healthy breast, cancer Surgery

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

Popular Posts